General Manager – HGI Winchester
Reports: Vice Presidents
The Hilton Garden Inn is a 102 room hotel located in Winchester, VA with 2,100 sq. ft. of full service banquet space, as well as a restaurant and bar on site open for breakfast and dinner.
The General Manager oversees all aspects of the hotel operations including: guest relations, front desk, housekeeping, maintenance, finances, team building, and staff development. The General Manager must possess strong communication skills, both verbal and write, and demonstrate outstanding leadership. They must be able to delegate responsibilities, organize complex projects and establish priorities consistent with Aikens Group and hotel brand standards.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Guest Service
- Maintains guest services as the driving philosophy of the hotel
- Personally, demonstrates a commitment to guest service by responding to guests needs.
- Is committed to making every guest completely satisfied with his or her stay.
- Ensures all staff is trained on how to interact with the guests and the procedures on guest complaints.
- Empowers hotel staff to deliver guest service by encouraging and rewarding responsive guest assistance.
- Solicits and applies customer feedback (internal and external) to improve processes, products, and services.
- Marketing & Sales Management
- Develops and implements a sales plan with the sales team based on the demand of the property in order to obtain new business and retain current market share.
- Knows why competitors are successful and markets the property directly towards those characteristics.
- Ensures hotel staff are familiar with key accounts and sales plan to create a team atmosphere so goals can be achieved.
- Makes an effort to know personally all of the hotels’ key accounts and is active in the sales process.
- Profit Management
- Maintains a conservative operation in order to maximize profit margin.
- Identifies potential revenue and expense opportunities and possible problems.
- Ensures hotel staff is trained in financial control procedures for cash, vouchers, inventories and receivables, and that these procedures are regularly followed.
- Manages the hotels Accounts Receivables.
- Manages the hotel’s demand segments, sources of business for each, and balances market segments according to supply and demand.
- Forecasts occupancy fluctuations and directs selling activities to maximize revenues.
- Human Resource Management
- Manages human resources functions including recruiting, selection, orientation, training, performance planning, and evaluation of all hotel staff.
- Maintains a positive cooperative work environment between staff and management.
- Ensures hotel employees know hotel objectives.
- Administers personnel policies fairly and consistently.
- Ensures personnel files are accurate and comply with both local and federal laws and regulations.
- Resolves employee grievances in a fair and timely manner.
- Ensures employees understand policies, pay procedures, and benefits.
- Helps to develop management talent by acting as a mentor for direct reports.
- Ensures training objectives and development plans are completed.
- Monitors and maintains acceptable turnover levels.
- Maintains physical product standards by managing preventative maintenance programs and by scheduling deep-clean activities.
- Ensures ongoing staff and employee involvement in preventative maintenance programs.
- Protects the interest of the hotel during capital projects.
- Formulates an annual capital improvement plan for the property based on its needs.
- Operates the property in a manner to achieve Outstanding Quality Evaluations.
- Manages assigned maintenance team to ensure product is maintained in a proper manner.
- Safety and Security Management
- Knows local health and safety codes and regulations that apply to the hotel.
- Understands and implements ‘Right to Know’ laws.
- Recognizes and corrects potential safety hazards.
- Understands and follows policies and procedures for the hotel’s key control system and ensures others are trained.
- Uses ongoing safety training to minimize worker’s compensation claims.
- All other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Requirements:
- Minimum of four (4) years of hotel management experience
- Able to appropriately handle difficult or emotional customer situations
- Responds well to questions
- Demonstrates group presentation skills
- Proficient with computer operations including Microsoft Suite
- Able to contribute to building a positive team spirit.
- Writes clearly and informatively
- Has the ability to read and interpret written information
- Makes self – available to staff and provides regular performance feedback
- Must be able to maintain confidential information
- Able to delegate work assignments as needed and provide recognition for results.
- Must be attentive to details.
- Be timely in all communications and requests by management
- Must have the ability to handle pressure in meeting deadlines and prioritize tasks.
- Must have the ability to work independently and use independent judgment with minimal supervision.
- Must produce high-quality work that has been proofed and is error free.